Prosciutto di Modena PDO achieved a production turnover of 6.5 million euros in 2021. Compared to sales in 2020 (equal to 5 million euros), growth reached +30% despite the drop in sales with the almost total closure of the Horeca channel due to the pandemic. With 66,674 pork legs in 2021 (compared to 58,273 in 2020), production also increased double-digits: +14%. The sliced ham in trays segment is also growing strongly, from 630,00 trays in 2020 to 728,000 in 2021: +15%.
Exports account for 8% of total sales. The United States, with a 57% share, is confirmed as the top destination market, followed by EU countries with the remaining 43%. The main European markets are Germany, France, Belgium, and Portugal.
Discover the authentic Italian charcuterie from Emilia-Romagna on the Italianfood.net platform
The President of the Consortium of Prosciutto di Modena PDO Giorgia Vitali, says, “The strong increase in sales is largely due to the reopening of the Horeca channel, which contributes about 30% of total sales. The increase in sliced ham in trays, up +15%, is positive, confirming the growing notoriety and appreciation of our product by consumers who find this particular format extremely convenient and practical. Our goals for the future are related to the possibility of further boosting sales in the U.S. and Canadian markets.”
THE CONSORTIUM’S MEMBER COMPANIES
- Salumificio F.lli Guerzoni – Gorzano di Maranello
- Prosciuttificio F.lli Balocchi – Verica di Pavullo
- Prosciuttificio Nini Gianfranco – Savignano sul Panaro
- Salumificio F.lli Baldoni Eredi – Lama Mocogno
- San Geminiano Prosciutto – Samone di Guiglia
- Prosciutto Leonardi – Marano sul Panaro
- Salumificio Vitali – Castel D’Aiano
- Prosciutto San Francesco – Castelnuovo Rangone
- Fattoria Cà Dante – Fanano
- Prosciuttificio Montevecchio – Savigno