Dairy

Parmigiano Reggiano: a TV Commercial for Gulf Markets

A new advertising campaign aimed at consumers in Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, and Kuwait was presented by the protection Consortium

Parmigiano Reggiano’s protection Consortium has launched a large-scale advertising campaign in the Persian Gulf area. In particular in Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, and Kuwait. The initiative is part of a long-term investment plan aimed at developing the Gulf area’s market potential. The campaign is based on a television commercial to be broadcast on the main satellite broadcasters in the target countries. The Consortium’s strategy aims at educating Arab consumers on the specifics of Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, a product that stands out for its selection of the best and 100% natural ingredients and which has been respecting the same recipe for a thousand years.

AGAINST ITALIAN SOUNDING IN THE GULF

A research by Nielsen has shown that many consumers, even in the Gulf area, confuse Parmigiano Reggiano with the generic term ‘parmesan’, which is a typical counterfeiting. If we consider the turnover of hard cheeses in the three target countries, only 30% of the market belongs to Parmigiano Reggiano whereas the remaining 70% belongs to parmesan. The storyboard of the commercial therefore depicts the very contrast between the two products. In a typical Arab family, the mother tries to convince her son to eat the generic parmesan. The child calls the police who, after a spectacular raid on the house, unmasks the woman who turns out to be a fraudster in disguise. The commercial closes with the appearance of authentic Parmigiano Reggiano.

ADVERTISING CAMPAIGN ON SOCIAL NETWORKS

In parallel, a web campaign will be launched on YouTube, Facebook and Instagram to intercept as many consumers as possible, including the numerous expats that make up more than 70% of the population in Dubai. “The project – says Riccardo Deserti, General Manager of Parmigiano Reggiano’s Consortiumwill open a door on the markets of the Gulf area. The Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia and Kuwait are among the countries with the highest per capita incomes in the world: the goal for the next three years is to increase the share of our King of Cheeses”.

© All rights reserved